AmmoLand News recently reviewed the Vortex Defender CCW Micro Red Dot Sight, a micro red dot sight that fits a variety of handguns that use the Shield RMS mounting palates. That led to a lot of reader questions. So we went back and dug to find the best response to the most commonly asked question about the Defender Vortex CCW sight.
1. What is the difference between the Vortex Micro Red Dot and the Venom Red Dot?
The Vortex Micro Defender is a smaller and more compact red dot sight than the Venom. It is designed specifically for concealed carry, while the Vortex Venom is a more versatile red dot sight that can be used for a wider range of applications. The Defender CCW also has a lower price point than the Venom.
2. What are the different reticle options available for the Defender CCW?
The Vortex CCW Red Dot is available with a 3 MOA or a 6 MOA reticle. The 3 MOA reticle is smaller and more precise, while the 6 MOA reticle is larger and easier to see.
3. How many brightness settings does the Defender CCW have?
The Vortex Micro Red Dot has ten brightness settings, eight for daylight use and two for night vision. This allows you to adjust the brightness of the red dot to match the ambient light conditions.
4. What optic footprint does the Vortex Defender CCW have?
The Vortex Defender CCW footprint uses a Shield RMS footprint. This is one of the most common mounting footprints for compact and subcompact pistols.
.5. Is the Vortex Defender waterproof and shockproof?
Yes, the Vortex CCW Red Dot is waterproof and shockproof to a rating of IPX7 and IPX8, respectively. This means that it can be submerged in water up to 1 meter for 30 minutes and can withstand impacts up to 1000 Gs.
6. What is the warranty on the Vortex model DFCCW-MRD3?
The Defender-CCW is covered by Vortex’s VIP Warranty, which is a lifetime, no-questions-asked warranty. This means that if you ever have a problem with your Defender-CCW, Vortex will repair or replace it for free.
7. What is the weight of the Defender CCW?
The weight of the Defender Micro Red Dot is 2.4 ounces. This makes it one of the lightest red dot sights on the market.
8. What is the size of the Vortex Micro Red Dot?
The Defender-CCW is 2.56 inches long, 1.5 inches wide, and 1 inch high. This makes it a very compact and easy-to-carry red dot sight.
9. What is the battery life of the Vortex Defender?
The battery life of the Defender Micro Red Dot is up to 2 years on the lowest brightness setting.
10. What mounting options are available for the Vortex DFCCW-MRD3?
The Vortex Micro Defender comes with a Picatinny rail mount. It can also be mounted on a variety of other mounting systems using the included shim plate.
11. What is the price of the Defender-CCW?
The MSRP of the Vortex Defender CCW is $349.99. This is a very competitive price for a red dot sight of this quality. Check out the price on related optics below.
Vortex Defender CCW Micro Red Dot Product Current Prices
Current Best Deal: Sportman’s Guide $204.10 after a sale and coupon code ‘ULTIMATE20’ for Club Members.
Live Inventory Price Checker
|VORTEX Defender-CCW 3 MOA Micro Red Dot - Black||KYGUNCO||$ 249.99||
|Vortex Defender-CCW 3 MOA Red Dot Sight DFCCW-MRD3||EuroOptic.com||$ 249.99||
|DEMO Vortex Defender-CCW Red Dot Sight 1x25mm 3 MOA Reticle Black DFCCW-MRD3||Optics Planet||$ 349.99 $ 248.49||
|Vortex Optics Vortex Defender CCW Red Dot - 3 MOA Red Dot||GoWild||$ 249.99||
|Vortex Defender-CCW 3 MOA Micro Red Dot||GunMag Warehouse||$ 349.99 $ 249.99||
|Vortex Defender-CCW Red Dot Sight 1x25mm 3 MOA Reticle Black||Optics Planet||$ 349.99 $ 249.00||
|Vortex Defender-CCW 6 MOA Red Dot Sight DFCCW-MRD6||EuroOptic.com||$ 249.99||
|VORTEX Defender - CCW 6 MOA Mini Red Dot - Black||KYGUNCO||$ 249.99||
|Vortex Defender-CCW Red Dot Sight 1x25mm 6 MOA Reticle Black||Optics Planet||$ 349.99 $ 249.00||
|Vortex Optics Vortex Defender CCW Red Dot - 6 MOA Red Dot||GoWild||$ 249.99||
12. What is the field of view of the Defender DFCCW-MRD3?
The field of view of the Defender Micro Red Dot is 26 feet at 100 yards. This is a good field of view for a red dot sight of this size.
13. What is the eye relief of the Vortex Micro Defender?
The eye relief of the Vortex Micro Defender is infinite. This means that you can focus on the target without having to worry about your eye being too close or too far from the sight.
14. What is the parallax of the Vortex Defender?
The parallax of the Vortex Micro Red Dot is <0.25 MOA. This means that the point of impact will not change as you move your head around behind the sight.
15. What is the battery type for the Defender CCW?
The Defender-CCW uses a CR1632 battery. This is a common battery type that is easy to find.
General Optics Mounting Steps:
Here is an easy step-by-step guide on how to mount the Vortex Defender CCW Micro Red Dot on a handgun:
Tools and materials:
- Vortex Defender CCW Micro Red Dot
- Appropriate mounting plate for your handgun
- Torx T10 bit
- Thread-Locking Compound ($15.00)
- Torque Wrench ($108.00 with included Torx T10 bit set) set to 15 inch-pounds (Vortex specifies that the Defender-CCW’s screws be tightened to 10 to 12 inch-pounds (or 15 inch-pounds if you do not use thread-locking compound)
- Cleaning Cloth
- Clean the mounting surface of your handgun with a cleaning cloth.
- Align the mounting plate with the mounting holes on your handgun.
- Secure the mounting plate in place with the Torx T10 screws.
- Tighten the screws to 15 inch-pounds using a torque wrench.
- Attach the Vortex Defender CCW Micro Red Dot to the mounting plate.
- Turn on the red dot and adjust the brightness setting to your desired level.
- Make sure that the mounting plate is aligned correctly before you tighten the screws.
- Do not overtighten the screws, as this could damage the mounting plate or the handgun.
- Once the red dot is mounted, you may need to adjust the windage and elevation to zero the sight.
Here are some additional safety tips to keep in mind when mounting a red dot sight on a handgun:
- Always make sure that the gun is unloaded and the safety is engaged before you begin working on it.
- Use caution when handling the red dot sight, as it is a delicate piece of equipment.
- Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when mounting the red dot sight.
16. How do I change the battery in the Defender Micro Red Dot?
To change the battery in the Vortex Defender, you will need to remove the rubber cover on the top of the sight. Once the cover is removed, you can unscrew the battery cap and replace the battery.
17. How do I zero the Vortex Micro Red Dot?
To zero the Vortex Micro Defender, you will need to shoot a group of shots at a target at a known distance. Once you have shot the group, you can adjust the windage and elevation of the sight until the shots are hitting the center of the target.
18. What are some of the pros and cons of the Defender-CCW?
Some of the pros of the Vortex CCW Red Dot include its small size, lightweight, long battery life, and waterproof and shockproof construction. Some of the cons of the Defender-CCW include its comparatively average price and its lack of an automatic brightness adjustment feature.
19. What are some alternatives to the Vortex CCW Red Dot?
Some alternatives to the Defender-CCW include the following:
These sights are all similar in size and feature to the Defender-CCW, but they may have different price points or performance characteristics.
20. What are some tips for using the Vortex CCW Red Dot?
Some tips for using the Vortex Micro Red Dot include:
- Practice shooting with the sight so that you become familiar with its operation.
- Make sure that the sight is properly zeroed before you carry it for self-defense.
- Keep the sight clean and free of debris.
I hope this helps answer some of the additional questions that potential buyers of the Vortex Defender CCW Red Dot optic, model DFCCW-MRD3, might have.
Here are links to the most recent Vortex Defender CCW Product Manual
Vortex Defender CCW Micro Red Dot Product User Manual