Fairfax, VA -(AmmoLand.com)- The National Rifle Association is pleased to announce the students selected to attend the 2015 Youth Education Summit (Y.E.S.), a seven-day educational experience in Washington, DC, held from July 27 to August 2.
At Y.E.S., students from around the United States learn the significance of the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the importance of being an active citizen as they visit memorials and monuments throughout the nation’s capital. Scheduled stops include the Capitol Building, the National Museum of American History, Marine Corps Base Quantico, the National Archives, the Newseum, and a safe introduction to the shooting sports at NRA Headquarters.
Students who excel in the week’s activities through demonstrating strong leadership, public speaking, and debate skills will be awarded $15,000 in college scholarships at the summit’s closing ceremony. Following Y.E.S., an additional $15,000 in scholarships will be made available through the Y.E.S. Grand Scholarship, which encourages attendees to create a portfolio detailing the promotion of NRA programs, like Eddie Eagle GunSafe and Refuse To Be A Victim, in their communities.
Any high school sophomore or junior in the United States is welcome to apply to Y.E.S. The summit’s application process includes a written essay on the Second Amendment, personal statement, transcript affirming a minimum 3.00 grade point average, and three personal recommendations. This year’s class of 45 was selected from hundreds of qualified applicants.
The National Rifle Association launched the Youth Education Summit in 1996 to encourage America’s youth to become active and knowledgeable citizens at both the national and local levels. More than $460,000 in scholarships have been awarded throughout the program’s 20-year history. Funding for Y.E.S. is provided through The NRA Foundation from monies raised by Friends of NRA, a grassroots fund-raising program in support of the shooting sports.
2015 Y.E.S. Participants:
- Trevar Fiscus – Juneau, AK
- Katelyn Majors – Laceys Spring, AL
- Elijah Sheffield – Harrison, AR
- Markanna Moore – Prescott, AZ
- Christopher Bortolon – Alamo, CA
- Ryan-Austin Nufable – Los Angeles, CA
- Ruby Stith – Taft, CA
- Tyler Tate – Roseville, CA
- Makayla Douthit – Walden, CO
- Jacquelyn O’Brien – Fairfield, CT
- Madeline Carlson – Clayton, DE
- Nicole Hittel – Bradenton, FL
- Mason Mitchell – Marseilles, IL
- Delaney Yoder – Bremen, IN
- Sonora Sheldon – Holton, KS
- Cody Evans – Heidrick, KY
- Leland Brandon – Ponchatoula, LA
- Lucas Verret – Lake Charles, LA
- Delaney Hancock – Leonardtown, MD
- Claire Laurenz – Wheeler, MI
- Nicholas McGrath – Hampton, MN
- Caleb Daniels – Lee’s Summit, MO
- Cole Diggins – Moundville, MO
- Marisa Laudadio – Walnut, MS
- Luke Comstock – Bigfork, MT
- Riaz Lane – Tyner, NC
- Lauren Webb – Grand Island, NE
- JoAnna O’Neill – Los Alamos, NM
- Natalie Fox – Las Vegas, NV
- Erin Estus – Frewsburg, NY
- Samuel Church – Luckey, OH
- Nolan Loughry – Hudson, OH
- Joelie Simmions – Sand Springs, OK
- Connor Kiblinger – Redmond, OR
- Benjamin Swanson – Roseburg, OR
- Elias Buhl – Erie, PA
- Bonita Wyatt – Clover, SC
- Emily Phillips – Sweetwater, TN
- Brooke Montalbano – Alvin, TX
- Hayden Rash – El Paso, TX
- Armond Willingham – Big Sandy, TX
- Connor Morris – Santa Clara, UT
- Savannah Easter – Amelia, VA
- Lucas Parmley – Sheboygan, WI
- Matthew Hackworth – Pax, WV
To learn more about the Youth Education Summit program, visit their website at www.friendsofnra.org/yes or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the National Rifle Association
Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen’s group. Five million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and is the leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military.
For more information, visit www.NRA.org.
The post NRA Announces 2015 Youth Education Summit Participants appeared first on AmmoLand.com.