— El Cerrito Police (@ElCerritoPD) August 5, 2014
A police dog named Koda is back to patrolling the streets with his partner after a frightening ordeal last week which could have proved fatal.
Koda was helping to search a vehicle for drugs in El Cerrito, California, when the German Shepard discovered crack cocaine and what was later determined to be crystal meth.
“He’s trying to pinpoint an odor,” explained Koda’s partner El Cerrito Officer Joshua Del Prado. “As he got closer to the floor board, I noticed a small plastic bundle of something. I didn’t know what it was.”
But by the time Del Prado got to it, the bundle was already gone. Koda had accidentally ingested it.
“Depending on the dosage, how their body responds to it, it could be fatal,” Del Prado said.
Koda was rushed to an emergency veterinarian clinic where he was kept overnight for observation, and after a few days off, Koda returned to work on Monday.
“I was really excited the next day to go pick him up,” said Del Prado. “Really couldn’t wait for my shift to begin.”
The post K-9 returns to work after accidentally ingesting meth (VIDEO) appeared first on Guns.com.