North Carolina –-(Ammoland.com)- It’s official: Representative Marcia Morey wants your guns. This North Carolina House member from The People’s Republic of Durham and (ugh) former judge has now introduced HB 976, “Extreme Gun Confiscation for North Carolina.”
Morey doesn’t call it that, of course. She claims it is for “Extreme Risk Protection Orders” to keep all those mass killers (the ones the media endlessly encourages) from possessing guns.
Doesn’t HB 976 just keep guns out of the wrong hands?
But like most “reasonable sounding” gun control proposals, what hides behind the curtain should outrage not only gun rights supporters, but anyone who values the U.S. Constitution.
Somebody complains, and the nightmare begins…
To give you a sample of what Morey and her Democrat cohorts have in mind for you, consider what could (and inevitably WILL) happen:
- A VENGEFUL EX (or stepchild, or roommate, or even somebody you dated ONCE…or perhaps declined to date?) decides to “get you” by filing a complaint alleging that because you own guns you are “imminently dangerous.”
- NO TIME TO RESPOND. That complaint, however flimsy or false, produces an IMMEDIATE “EX PARTE” (EMERGENCY) HEARING, as in “24,7,365” – whether court is in session or not.
- YOU DON’T GET TO DEFEND YOURSELF. The hearing will be held without even giving you notice that you’ve been accused. Even if you find out about the proceeding held THAT SAME DAY; even if you find a lawyer and pay him or her big bucks to defend you, should you chose to testify in your own defense, the hearing could GET YOUR GUN CONFISCATED FOR A YEAR OR MORE.
- YOUR GUNS GET SEIZED. If the judge decides enough evidence exists for a “temporary” order (and they almost always do), you get 24 HOURS TO SURRENDER YOUR GUNS, after which THE SHERIFF WILL TAKE THEM, BY FORCE, IF NECESSARY.
- LOSE YOUR RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. Although the ex parte order is only valid for 10 days (renewable, of course), the next hearing will likely result in a FULL ‘EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDER’ valid for renewable periods of up to ONE YEAR.
- PAY TENS OF THOUSANDS IN LEGAL FEES. Ex parte hearings, court proceedings, motions and counter-motions, incurring legal fees at $300 per hour or more. It is entirely possible you might have to MORTGAGE YOUR HOUSE TO FIGHT FOR YOUR GUNS.
- YOUR ACCUSER CAN LIE. Although the penalty for perjury is normally 10-20 months in prison, HB 976 GUARANTEES YOUR ACCUSER CANNOT SPEND EVEN ONE DAY IN JAIL FOR LYING TO CONFISCATE YOUR GUNS – the only penalty it allows for lying is 1-30 days of community service…and that is in the unlikely event they get caught at all.
- YOU GET REPORTED TO N.I.C.S. You will be a prohibited person in the national background check database. Even if the court order is allowed to expire, odds are it will take an act of Congress to get you out of the NICS database.
- YOU COULD PAY UNTOLD THOUSANDS FOR ‘STORAGE.’ No maximum storage fees are stipulated, so the sheriff who confiscates your guns can charge you whatever he wants for “storage.” He can also fire them to obtain and record ballistics data. Moreover, we know anti-gun sheriffs have a habit of returning confiscated guns in less than ideal condition.
- YOUR GUNS COULD BE DESTROYED. So congrats! You’ve spent perhaps $50,000 fighting seemingly endless court orders and motions, but you are victorious: The Gun Confiscation Order is finally lifted. One little problem remains: Now that you are broke, the sheriff wants $10,000 for “storage” in order to return your guns. Oh, yes, did we mention that if you don’t raise the money to file YET ANOTHER MOTION to get them back within 90 days, YOUR GUNS CAN BE DESTROYED.
This is your ‘due process of law’
This, the gun banners claim, is the “due process of law” you are promised under the Fifth Amendment. After all, you got your day in court, didn’t you?
Will HB 976 become law?
The good news is that Morey’s bill, like the companion bill introduced by anti-gun Democrats in the Senate, has been shunted to the Rules Committee where such bills usually go to die.
The bad news is that gun ban advocates are holding public forums and press conferences, and issuing press releases to the fawning media as a run-through for next year, when they hope Governor Roy Cooper will sign it into law.
Where are the Republicans?
In theory, we elected a Republican majority to defend our gun rights and champion conservative ideals. So what are Republicans doing to defend against the gun ban onslaught?
- How about Speaker Tim Moore’s School Safety Committee? Did they recommend arming faculty or even providing more armed school resource officers to defend students? Nope.
- Has Senator Phil Berger promised to give HB 746 a hearing in order to expand concealed carry? Hah! Not bloody likely.
- Have the ostensible “conservatives” responded with vision to provide an alternative to the endless gun control being pushed by liberals? Nope. Not a whisper.
Republicans: The Party of Cowards
When YOU elected a Republican supermajority to the General Assembly, they promised to champion conservative ideals; to not only defend your rights, but to expand your freedoms.
Instead, Speaker Tim Moore, Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger and GOP Executive Director Dallas Woodhouse are responding to recent tragedies by hunkering down in the bunker like refugees.
Instead of advocating effective solutions to school shootings such as eliminating “gun-free” zones and equipping faculty members to protect students against violent sociopaths, their “solution” is to bottle up bills in committee and avoid sticking their necks out.
Pablum for the masses
We would be remiss not to mention the “pro-gun” initiative Sen. Berger has been shopping to Republican groups – a constitutional amendment for hunting and fishing.
Yep. You heard it right. As the left dances in the streets, making plans and hanging Republicans in effigy; as the media and gun ban advocates invent new ways to steal your liberties; our side has come up with a plan.
And that plan is to placate you with meaningless pablum designed to pacify you because clearly you are stupid enough to mistake it for something meaningful, right? (Oh, yes, and it would bring a few “sportsmen” to the polls in November to vote Republican, while they’re at it.)
Tell Republicans to stop cowering and lead!
It’s time to deliver a loud and clear message to Republican leadership that you aren’t the slightest bit interested in the little “consolation prize” they are offering to compensate for their cowardice in not moving HB 746. In fact, tell them to GROW A SPINE.
- Call AND email Sen. Phil Berger and tell him to pass HB 746: Contact Berger at (919) 733-5708, Phil.Berger@ncleg.net
- Call AND email Speaker Tim Moore on school safety: Contact Moore at 919-733-3451, Tim.Moore@ncleg.net and tell him that beyond the wimpy solutions proposed by his “Select Committee on School Safety,” he should support arming volunteer school faculty members as contained in the bill currently being drafted.
- Call AND Email NC GOP Executive Director Dallas Woodhouse: Leave a message for Woodhouse at the GOP’s headquarters (919) 828-6423, email him at email@example.com or tweet to Woodhouse at @DallasWoodhouse. Tell him to stop telling supporters that the GOP won’t move gun bills in the short session of the legislature.
Help GRNC elect pro-gun LEADERS in November: The GRNC Political Victory Fund spent everything it had on the May primary elections. WE NEED YOUR HELP. You can donate to help elect candidates with spines by going to: www.grnc.org/grnc-pvf/donate-to-grnc-pvf
You can also still buy tickets for the SECOND drawing of the “WMD Raffle” – with the potential to win either a 12 gauge Mossberg Shockwave or its 20 gauge twin – by going to: www.grnc.org/grnc-pvf-raffle-2018
So please tell Republican leaders to develop spines, and then help the GRNC Political Victory Fund elect legislators with the courage to actually stand up to the left and defend your freedom!
Armatissimi e liberissimi,
F. Paul Valone
President, Grass Roots North Carolina
Executive Director, Rights Watch International
Radio host, “Guns, Politics & Freedom”
Grass Roots North Carolina/Forum for Firearms Education is a non-profit, all volunteer organization devoted to educating the public about trends which abridge the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, and engaging in grass roots activism to preserve those freedoms. Formed in 1994 to conduct a highly successful rally for the Second Amendment, GRNC has gone on to conduct projects like “Remember in November: A Gun Owner’s Guide to Voting,” bringing concealed carry to North Carolina. Visit:www.grnc.org