Washington, DC – -(Ammoland.com)- The Crime Prevention Research Center has pointed out for years that the current background check system is a real mess.
Now that President Obama has taken measures to force expanded background checks for person to person sales of firearms, it is important the public understand that the majority of denials are false positives.
They are people who were denied by mistake.
The problem is, if you are denied, you have to hire an attorney and try to get it cleared up in court.
Thousands of dollars must be spent by the person trying to get their name cleared. This causes a real problem for people who are financially strapped.
There is also the huge issue of the Obama Administration making it even more difficult to have mistakes checked and cleared because they have pulled the personnel who would be devoted to handling the appeals.
It’s just one way the Obama administration prevents people from owning guns. This disproportionately impacts the law-abiding poor and prevents them from being able to defend themselves.
The last couple of weeks have seen legislation introduced around the country to ban semi-automatic guns. A recent piece that the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) had at National Review Online discusses the claims being made in those debates and what implications they might have for the future. We also had an op-ed at the New York Post.
For more information about the costs of the current background check system and other issues, please review the work we have done over the past week below.
- CPRC at LifeZette: “NO. 90% don’t want more Background Checks”
- CPRC in USA Today: The delays in getting permits in Riverside California
CPRC at National Review: A semi-automatic handgun ban wouldn’t stop mass shooters
- CPRC in The New York Post: “What Bernie Sanders misses about the rise in campaign cash” and why that is related to the gun control debate
- Five concealed carry permit holders from Alaska to South Carolina stop dangerous armed robbers
- CPRC at Fox News: The Air Force tells Commanders they can OK guns on base
- CPRC on Haus Rules: FBI’s gun background check program has some very significant problems
- CPRC on KXDJ in Amarillo, Texas: The cost of background checks and mass public shootings, drug gangs and guns, and other issues
- CPRC in the news: Associated Press, Washington Post, Washington Times, and other places
- Woman attacked in parking garage by knife wielding robber successfully defends herself with concealed handgun
About Crime Prevention Research Center
The Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) is a research and education organization dedicated to conducting academic quality research on the relationship between laws regulating the ownership or use of guns, crime, and public safety; educating the public on the results of such research; and supporting other organizations, projects, and initiatives that are organized and operated for similar purposes. Visit: www.crimepreventionresearchcenter.org
The post Current Firearms Background Check System Is A Real Mess appeared first on AmmoLand.com.